SnotzzzBlog -------------- Venting Since 1973

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Been A Long Time

Yes, it has been a long time since I've blogged about anything. But in my defense, I have had other things to occupy my time.
On March 16th at 10:53 pm my son Colin was born. He checked into the world at 9.04 pounds and 20 inches long. The sound of his cry was something I had waited so long to hear and it was not disappointing!!!
Here's how the day went:
Went to work thinking that it was just another day in the gym and that Colin was still just hanging out for an extra week or two until he was ready to come out....then after taking my first class to the gym my phone rings. Bianca says that she thinks her water broke and is on here way home. I ask if I should come home or what, and she says she isn't sure!!!!!! Then her contractions start in and she said that I should get home fast!!! I make a couple calls to make sure my kids were covered and not alone in the gym and that my principal was aware of the situation.
I was a lot calmer than I thought I would be. Drove home in record time before loading the car up and FLYING down 94 to The University of Michigan Hospital. I wasn't anticipating it to be such a long process once labor started but it turned out to be a long, long day. We got to the hospital at about 10:30 am and got rushed right up to labor and delivery where we got checked in and B got hooked up to the monitors. At that point everything was going smoothly.
We had the best nurse, Noelle, and she made sure that B was nothing but comfortable and relaxed. Anything we needed she took care of, and fast!!
At about 5pm Noelle and the resident decided it was time to start pushing. B was doing great and was very grateful for the epidural!!
After 4 1/2 hours of pushing with not much progress it was determined that a C section was the only way to make sure both B and C were safe. This seemed to take forever. They wheeled B down to the O-R and I had to wait outside while they got her prepped for surgery. This is what seemed to take forever and a day. Finally they came and took me in where she was already opened up and they were working on getting things right so they could get C out as fast as possible. They told me to stay behind the curtain....yeah right, like I wasn't going to watch. If I couldn't cut the cord I wasn't going to miss out on watching as much as possible. I wasn't worried about B because she was in good hands and on some damn good drugs. The whole thing was incredible to watch. The smallest little doctor or nurse or whatever she was had what looked like meat hooks pulling half of my wife's torso up to her chin!!! There was one point where they nicked something and blood squirted out like a pumper but they quickly got it under control.
I lost track of time but that seemed to take a long time....then they were holding what looked like a full piece of beef tenderloin which turned out to be the uterus!!! They opened it up and that was the first time I saw my son. They moved quick to get him out, cut the cord, and get him over to the table where they cleaned him up. As they were carrying him over there, I jumped up and followed. It took a little while for him to start crying but he did and it was a good strong cry.
I had the camera and was snapping picture after picture! Then I sat back down next to B and was describing him to her, even though she was really whacked out of her mind on the drugs!!!
Finally, I got to hold and feed him. Oh my God what a feeling!!! After they got B stitched and stapled back up we went to recovery where the grandparents could see him and hang out for a bit. It was surreal holding him. It was as if I were looking in a mirror, and yet it was so much better.
We didn't end up getting back to the room until almost 2:30 am and with the adrenaline from the day and the world's most uncomfortable chair, I didn't sleep for shit but I also didn't care!! The next couple days were almost as long, but we finally got to go home Thursday.
In the 4 1/2 months that have taken place, I have realized that I am capable of more than I thought...I thought that spit up was going to make me barf too, but it happens and I don't even care!!! He is growing pretty fast and is developing a great, humorous personality. He is an incredible flirt, especially towards blondes!!!
And his smile is the best thing to see first thing in the morning.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
counter