47 Days
2008 Michigan Football
Yup, that's right 47 days. From Monday July 14 there are 47 days until Michigan begins an entirely new era in college football. In 47 days we play the Utah Utes and before a few weeks ago I didn't have the slightest idea what the hell a Ute was until I looked it up when I was substituting in an elementary school media class. As it turns out a Ute is a native Indian tribe from, surprise, Utah! Nobody could make that up, it's just too simple.
Many of my friends and family have been asking me about how I think my team will do this year and if I am happy with the coaching transition from Lloyd Carr to Rich Rodriguez, and my answer is slightly guarded because I think that the team has the potential to have a helluva successful year. Some "experts" are calling for U-M to go 6-6, 7-5, and even 5-7 but I think they win at least 7-8 games based on the schedule. Of course things can happen to alter what should happen on paper, no news flash there but this team is carrying one very important thing into their season that will be able to prepare for: the element of the unknown and a huge chip on their shoulders. Everyone is calling for Michigan to be significantly down this year because of the coaching change, but it isn't like these are morons that are being coached, these kids are intelligent and can play at a very high level.
As for the coaching change I am very pleased thus far with what Rich Rodriguez is bringing to the table. Yes there have been some kids that left and that was to be expected because not everyone can handle the rigorous demands of an offensive innovator and his staff members. At least as big as the Rodriguez hire is that Mike Barwis, the strength and conditioning coach, came with him from West Virginia. Already the guys are making tremendous strides and improvements physically which is nothing short of a drastic improvement from Mike Gittleson. I'm not saying that Gittleson was garbage, but he was just of a different school of thought when it came to how today's football player needs to train to be successful.
I have been subscribing to a U-M recruiting service for several months now and the information that this site provides is second to none. I have read that certain players were leaving before they left and the inner workings of practices and other aspects that I had no clue about before. And hell yes this is worth it! I heard about a defensive player that got so fed up with being ragged on by the defensive coordinator that he hit him, prompting Rodriguez to sprint down the field yelling something to the effect of "It's about f-ing time your lazy ass should some f-ing emotion!" Now that player and the coaches are on the same page and everyone understands what is expected of them as players. There are more stories like that but that has been the one that I feel sums up the coaching change: Get used to things being different!!!
Rich Rodriguez has had some pretty damn good success with players that aren't necessarily as talented physically as some of the kids that Michigan traditionally gets, but now that he is here and has these highly talented athletes at his disposal things should get really interesting in college football real fast. And speaking of real fast, gone are the days of the lumbering ox of a lineman and in are the days of the almost 300 pound fleet-footed beast. The thing that I like the most so for is that the big fellas are becoming leaner, meaner, and a hell of a lot faster which equals linebackers having to keep their heads up or run the risk of getting smeared!
THE MOVE
Well it's been almost three weeks since we have moved out of our house and in with my folks as we wait for our new house to get built and so far things have been really good. We are in almost daily contact with our builder and sales agent about the various things we see visiting the house damn near 7 days a week, but this is also good because that way we are all up to speed with expectations and everything.
We have all of our crap scattered amongst three locations and it really makes me think, how much of this shit do we really need? I'm sure once we get moved in and start unpacking we are going to wonder why the hell we packed half of this crap!!!
One thing of concern is the level which my parents have been spoiled with me cooking all this delicious food! I swear to God that they don't ever eat this good when we aren't around!! But it's the least I can do for them putting us up for a couple of months. At least the cat hasn't broken anything yet, that was a concern because he can be a little trouble maker when he gets restless. So far the only thing he has done that surprised us was get on top of the entertainment center my parents have in the family room which is right under a half-circle window, we were watching a movie and he jumped up there without any of us noticing and sitting in the window. Now what was funny was all we saw was a flipping little tail against the wall! He was just content looking out the window from a perch roughly ten feet from the ground!
Well, that is all I have for now. Nothing new on the job front unfortunately, but the summer isn't over yet...I'll start getting nervous in September, but not about football.
Yup, that's right 47 days. From Monday July 14 there are 47 days until Michigan begins an entirely new era in college football. In 47 days we play the Utah Utes and before a few weeks ago I didn't have the slightest idea what the hell a Ute was until I looked it up when I was substituting in an elementary school media class. As it turns out a Ute is a native Indian tribe from, surprise, Utah! Nobody could make that up, it's just too simple.
Many of my friends and family have been asking me about how I think my team will do this year and if I am happy with the coaching transition from Lloyd Carr to Rich Rodriguez, and my answer is slightly guarded because I think that the team has the potential to have a helluva successful year. Some "experts" are calling for U-M to go 6-6, 7-5, and even 5-7 but I think they win at least 7-8 games based on the schedule. Of course things can happen to alter what should happen on paper, no news flash there but this team is carrying one very important thing into their season that will be able to prepare for: the element of the unknown and a huge chip on their shoulders. Everyone is calling for Michigan to be significantly down this year because of the coaching change, but it isn't like these are morons that are being coached, these kids are intelligent and can play at a very high level.
As for the coaching change I am very pleased thus far with what Rich Rodriguez is bringing to the table. Yes there have been some kids that left and that was to be expected because not everyone can handle the rigorous demands of an offensive innovator and his staff members. At least as big as the Rodriguez hire is that Mike Barwis, the strength and conditioning coach, came with him from West Virginia. Already the guys are making tremendous strides and improvements physically which is nothing short of a drastic improvement from Mike Gittleson. I'm not saying that Gittleson was garbage, but he was just of a different school of thought when it came to how today's football player needs to train to be successful.
I have been subscribing to a U-M recruiting service for several months now and the information that this site provides is second to none. I have read that certain players were leaving before they left and the inner workings of practices and other aspects that I had no clue about before. And hell yes this is worth it! I heard about a defensive player that got so fed up with being ragged on by the defensive coordinator that he hit him, prompting Rodriguez to sprint down the field yelling something to the effect of "It's about f-ing time your lazy ass should some f-ing emotion!" Now that player and the coaches are on the same page and everyone understands what is expected of them as players. There are more stories like that but that has been the one that I feel sums up the coaching change: Get used to things being different!!!
Rich Rodriguez has had some pretty damn good success with players that aren't necessarily as talented physically as some of the kids that Michigan traditionally gets, but now that he is here and has these highly talented athletes at his disposal things should get really interesting in college football real fast. And speaking of real fast, gone are the days of the lumbering ox of a lineman and in are the days of the almost 300 pound fleet-footed beast. The thing that I like the most so for is that the big fellas are becoming leaner, meaner, and a hell of a lot faster which equals linebackers having to keep their heads up or run the risk of getting smeared!
THE MOVE
Well it's been almost three weeks since we have moved out of our house and in with my folks as we wait for our new house to get built and so far things have been really good. We are in almost daily contact with our builder and sales agent about the various things we see visiting the house damn near 7 days a week, but this is also good because that way we are all up to speed with expectations and everything.
We have all of our crap scattered amongst three locations and it really makes me think, how much of this shit do we really need? I'm sure once we get moved in and start unpacking we are going to wonder why the hell we packed half of this crap!!!
One thing of concern is the level which my parents have been spoiled with me cooking all this delicious food! I swear to God that they don't ever eat this good when we aren't around!! But it's the least I can do for them putting us up for a couple of months. At least the cat hasn't broken anything yet, that was a concern because he can be a little trouble maker when he gets restless. So far the only thing he has done that surprised us was get on top of the entertainment center my parents have in the family room which is right under a half-circle window, we were watching a movie and he jumped up there without any of us noticing and sitting in the window. Now what was funny was all we saw was a flipping little tail against the wall! He was just content looking out the window from a perch roughly ten feet from the ground!
Well, that is all I have for now. Nothing new on the job front unfortunately, but the summer isn't over yet...I'll start getting nervous in September, but not about football.
Labels: football, Lloyd Carr, michigan, rich rodriguez, University

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home