Coaching Search Insanity
From the second Lloyd Carr officially announced his retirement people had anointed Les Miles the next head coach at Michigan. Rumors flew like birds and speculation took off like crazy about other candidates. I am just as curious to see how this will play out as anyone that bleeds Maize-n-Blue, but to seriously consider a coach we have to be careful in what we believe. Kirk Ferentz is the prime example. Why would Michigan want to hire someone that has wallowed into nothingness and has a parade when they get 7 wins? Simply because he was born in Royal Oak? Come on.
I am coming clean. I started a rumor and it was a really silly one at that. I did first consult a friend whose family was going to be mentioned in my "rumor" and he loved the idea, so I ran with it. The rumor I started was that an extremely successful high school coach had already been interviewed by Michigan and had told his son that things were heating up and that he would figure prominently in Michigan's search for a new gridiron leader. The last time I looked the post had received more than 400 views, and several comments that bit the hook hard. Yes there were some smart people that advised us "believers" to put the bong down and sober up.
Why did I do this? To prove the point that rumors are as dumb as hell and that the people that buy into them wholesale are just pure buffoons.
I won't even get into all the crap about people tracking flights to and from Ann Arbor. Seriously, those flights could be anyone for any reason. And all the crap about Brian Kelly is just as bad.
Now we learn that Michigan has asked for and recieved permission from LSU to talk to Les Miles about the vacancy at Michigan with one condition: wait until after the SEC Championship Game against Tennessee. Obviously Bill Martin didn't have a problem with that, nor should he have. Now the only question is: does this become a pissing contest between checkbooks or is it a slam dunk that Miles is going to leave LSU for Michigan? We will find out within the next few weeks.
I am coming clean. I started a rumor and it was a really silly one at that. I did first consult a friend whose family was going to be mentioned in my "rumor" and he loved the idea, so I ran with it. The rumor I started was that an extremely successful high school coach had already been interviewed by Michigan and had told his son that things were heating up and that he would figure prominently in Michigan's search for a new gridiron leader. The last time I looked the post had received more than 400 views, and several comments that bit the hook hard. Yes there were some smart people that advised us "believers" to put the bong down and sober up.
Why did I do this? To prove the point that rumors are as dumb as hell and that the people that buy into them wholesale are just pure buffoons.
I won't even get into all the crap about people tracking flights to and from Ann Arbor. Seriously, those flights could be anyone for any reason. And all the crap about Brian Kelly is just as bad.
Now we learn that Michigan has asked for and recieved permission from LSU to talk to Les Miles about the vacancy at Michigan with one condition: wait until after the SEC Championship Game against Tennessee. Obviously Bill Martin didn't have a problem with that, nor should he have. Now the only question is: does this become a pissing contest between checkbooks or is it a slam dunk that Miles is going to leave LSU for Michigan? We will find out within the next few weeks.
Labels: championship, les miles, Lloyd Carr, lsu, michigan, sec, tennessee

1 Comments:
Good point made about rumors.
By
Anonymous, At
November 30, 2007 at 12:43 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home